Five Things Friday
Here are five things I’m listening to these days:
(1) What Should I Read Next?, a fabulous podcast done by Modern Mrs. Darcy (MMD). I was already hooked on MMD’s Facebook page, and then my friend Sheila told me about the podcast! I might be on my third round of listening to these! The format is just perfect, the recording is done well, and my “To Be Read” list has never been longer! On each podcast she asks her guest to share three books they love, one book they hate, and what they’re currently reading, then she gives them three book recommendations based on what she’s learned about their reading preferences. And the titles/authors of ALL the books discussed are posted in the show notes, so you can simply enjoy listening and not worry about writing stuff down. Three cheers for THAT!
(2) Jordan Smith’s album, Something Beautiful. I loved listening to him on The Voice, and I’m thrilled to be able to support him (even if just a little bit) by buying his album. Here’s the video for one of my favorites from this album, “Stand In the Light.”
(3) Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. This is one of the books that MMD (above) recommended to her guest on What Should I Read Next a few weeks ago. I’m not sure how I feel about this book. I’m both fascinated with it and frustrated by it. I just started listening to it for the second time to decide if I’m more okay with the ending this time. Check it out and let me know what you think! Perhaps it’s better read than listened to?
(4) The “Unplugged” album by Unspoken. I listen to it over and over. Here’s the video for “Tell Somebody.”
(5) The forest behind my house. Yep! I’m being intentional about spending more time outside. I count sitting on my screened porch as being outside since I can see the trees, feel the breeze, and hear the cacophony of frogs and crickets without getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes.
What are you listening to? Please share in the comments below!Follow me in social media:
4 thoughts on “Five Things Friday”
My list on GoodReads has grown too! I’m currently listening to Brown Girl Dreaming, Around the Table Podcast (Jacey was on WSIRN), and some Andy Stanley. I just finished the Tough as Nails series. He’s so good!
Let me know how Brown Girl Dreaming is! I’m having a tough time with “Around the Table.” That one might just not be a good fit for me I want to find another podcast or two to follow since WSIRN is only once a week usually. I keep hearing good things about Andy Stanley’s stuff!
Try HopeWriters and From the Front Porch. The first one is by sisters Myqullyn (or however you spell her name) and Emily and it’s about writing. The second one is put out by an indie bookstore in Thomasville GA. And def check out Andy Stanley! His podcast is Your Move. So many favorites there! Guardrails. Ask It. The New Rules for Love, Sex and Dating (made our kids listen to this one). It Came From Within. Just to name a few top faves.
Thanks! I did listen to a few episodes of From the Front Porch. I’m pretty sure I’ve been in that bookstore! They have great stuff on Instagram! I’ll try HopeWriters too and let you know what I think. Thanks for all the recommendations!