Ahhhhh! A new year! I love the reset a new year presents! I’m still reflecting on 2017 and thinking about the possibilities 2018 brings, but one thing I HAVE (mostly) nailed down is my reading list for the 2018 Reading Challenge hosted by Anne Bogel of What Should I Read Next and Modern Mrs. Darcy.
Anne hosts a reading challenge every year, and I decided …
Read More Read More
It’s time for the Read::Watch::Listen::Follow link up! And since I’m in the middle of the Write 31 Days Challenge, Michael Ann’s Kitchen, I’m going to swing this one in a kitchen-y direction!
READ: I like to read while I eat, and sometimes I eat at the island in the kitchen. (Subtle, right?) I was trying to read Liane Moriarty’s Big Little Lies, but I had to put it aside. I think Liane’s stuff is just not going to be my favorite. With all the emotional drain that Hurricane Matthew brought, I wanted something more gentle. And that’s when I remembered Karla’s recommendation of a book by Grace Livingston Hill. I purchased this Grace Livingston Hill Collection after I read Karla’s post, and right now I’m reading Exit Betty, one of the books in that collection. It’s been a lovely, gentle read. Just right for my tired heart!
WATCH: I’m a big fan of the Great British Baking Show. Right now PBS is between seasons, but they ARE showing the Masterclass episodes, and I’m enjoying watching those. The judges from the regular season demonstrate how to properly bake the challenges from the previous season. And recipes are posted online!
LISTEN: I enjoy listening to podcasts while I’m working in the kitchen, and two of my podcast worlds collided this week! Annie from The Bookshelf bookstore in Thomasville, Georgia and the From the Front Porch podcast was interviewed by Anne Bogel from Modern Mrs. Darcy on HER podcast, What Should I Read Next? (Did you follow all that?) This episode was lots of fun, and you can listen to it here. Check it out! These are two nice, fun ladies talking about books!
FOLLOW: The Write 31 Days blogging challenge has been a fun way to scope out new-to-me blogs. One I’m following more closely these days is *not* new to me, but I’m especially enjoying its 31-day focus right now. It’s 31 Days in my Italian Kitchen by my friend Sheila! I’m learning a LOT! She’s making me want to get in my kitchen and cook up a storm!
Thanks for stopping by my blog/kitchen today! Please come back again soon! This is Day 14 of Michael Ann’s Kitchen and the Write 31 Days blogging challenge. Stop by Making the Most of Every Day to see what others are reading, watching, listening to, and following!
Here are five things I’m listening to these days:
(1) What Should I Read Next?, a fabulous podcast done by Modern Mrs. Darcy (MMD). I was already hooked on MMD’s Facebook page, and then my friend Sheila told me about the podcast! I might be on my third round of listening to these! The format is just perfect, the recording is done well, and my “To Be Read” list has never been longer! On each podcast she asks her guest to share three books they love, one book they hate, and what they’re currently reading, then she gives them three book recommendations based on what she’s learned about their reading preferences. And the titles/authors of ALL the books discussed are posted in the show notes, so you can simply enjoy listening and not worry about writing stuff down. Three cheers for THAT!
(2) Jordan Smith’s album, Something Beautiful. I loved listening to him on The Voice, and I’m thrilled to be able to support him (even if just a little bit) by buying his album. Here’s the video for one of my favorites from this album, “Stand In the Light.”
(3) Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. This is one of the books that MMD (above) recommended to her guest on What Should I Read Next a few weeks ago. I’m not sure how I feel about this book. I’m both fascinated with it and frustrated by it. I just started listening to it for the second time to decide if I’m more okay with the ending this time. Check it out and let me know what you think! Perhaps it’s better read than listened to?
(4) The “Unplugged” album by Unspoken. I listen to it over and over. Here’s the video for “Tell Somebody.”
(5) The forest behind my house. Yep! I’m being intentional about spending more time outside. I count sitting on my screened porch as being outside since I can see the trees, feel the breeze, and hear the cacophony of frogs and crickets without getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes.
What are you listening to? Please share in the comments below!