Hey there! Grab a cup of coffee and pull up a chair! It’s time for a chinwag!
“Chinwag” is one of those fun words we picked up when we lived in England. It means “a friendly conversation, a chat.” I contacted one of my English friends (Hi, Mary!) yesterday to make sure I had the definition and connotation right. She confirmed that it truly does mean just a chat, not a mean-spirited gossip session. Yay!
First up I have to tell you about my perfect weekend! Don’t you love those?!? Last Friday my husband was off work, and the weather was finally feeling slightly autumn-ish, so we headed out to the range to shoot for a while. He had fun breaking in two new guns, and I had fun watching HIM having fun with that! I stuck to the pistols. My accuracy was less than stellar, but I enjoyed the time anyway. I’m still fighting a flinch when I fire. I’m working to get past that, but it’s taking time.
That evening we went to the cinema to see the new Jack Reacher movie. Okay. I have to stop right there and ask why in the world did they cast Tom Cruise (for crying out loud) as Jack Reacher?!? In the books (yes, there are books) Jack Reacher is 6 feet 5 inches tall and 250 pounds! His sheer size is a HUGE factor in the stories! ANYWAY. Back to MY story. Gene and I went to our local cinema to see the new Jack Reacher movie and discovered that the cinema has upgraded to recliner seating! WHAT?!? Seats are now assigned, and/but they are WONDERFUL! This might not be so great for those of you who go all Sleep Mode as soon as you put your feet up, but we liked them A LOT!
Saturday was another gorgeous day. We had been invited to a special party in Jacksonville, Florida (more on that in a minute) for that evening, but we decided to head out early and make a day of it. We ate lunch at Popeye’s (a guilty pleasure of ours!) on the way down and then headed to the Jacksonville Zoo. We hadn’t visited it in a few years. We enjoyed walking around and watching the animals and the kids, none of whom we were responsible for! (I’ve decided that going to the zoo without kids is both a little sad AND a wonderful, beautiful thing!)
That evening we enjoyed a great anniversary party for friends of ours! Michael and Sheila were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary, and Sheila’s parents were celebrating their 50th! They renewed their vows, committing to keeping up the hard work that marriage requires. Yes, I got a little choked up! This marriage thing is something special, something to treasure, for sure! I LOVE dressing up, and Gene, bless his heart, was a really good sport about it! You can read more about the party on Sheila’s blog!
We spent the night at a great hotel in Jacksonville then nipped back up I-95 to take up our posts as greeters at our church and to celebrate our church’s 16th birthday! God stories and worship abounded!
Then came Monday! Ah, Monday! LOL! I present for your entertainment the condensed version of my leaving for work Monday morning!
- I decided to wear my amazing, upcycled sari, wrap skirt. Since it is a wrap skirt, it has long ties.
- Our kitten repeatedly jumped up, grabbed the ties, and pulled on them, slightly loosening my skirt.
- I ignored said kitten and focused on gathering my Tervis of tea and travel cup of coffee.
- The kitten tried to scamper out the front door with me, but my mad ninja skills kicked in and I blocked her escape. Victory!
- Also, my skirt got caught in the door.
- Oh, did I mention I had just touched up my fingernail polish on my right (dominant) hand?
- I managed to get my skirt out of the door and noticed that it was even more loose now. (Yeah. Wait for it!)
- I juggled my purse and beverages to the car, opened the door, leaned in to put my coffee in a cup holder so I wouldn’t spill it, and poured copious amounts of tea from my Tervis onto the front seat.
- Simultaneously my skirt…well…let’s just say I had a *slight* wardrobe malfunction at this point! Thankfully Gene had backed my car into the driveway the night before, so I was shielded from the world by my car door, my car, his truck, and multiple layers of clothing (since it was a brisk 50 degrees, and this is Georgia, so we must bundle up). I just cracked up laughing!
- A frantic search for napkins or paper towels then ensued whilst I was trying to get my skirt wrapped again AND trying not to mess up my fingernail polish! HA! It really was hysterical!
Oh, goodness! Sometimes all you can do is laugh! To close this out I’ll share a photo of the kitten (Mattie) and the sari wrap skirt.
Thanks for stopping by! What’s been going on in YOUR world lately?!? Leave me a comment, and we’ll keep the chinwag going!
Follow me in social media: